Friday, February 27, 2009

techno-unsatisfied

so this whole technology thing... is it gonna help us, or swallow us whole? maybe it's already gotten us. I just wonder if we can keep creating "artificial" inteligence types of things and maintain our human state. I think were past the "raw" human state, and we have been for awhile, perhaps since we quit hunting, gathering and walking everywhere. A cell phone is merely and extension of one's being these days, atleast in the American culture I am familliar with. I can't remeber where I heard it, but I remember something about humans evolving even further now, into homo-evolutis I think. I believe it was Juan Enriquez on TED talks. We're creating, manufacturing, a reality for oursevles. It revolves around the technology we use everyday; cars, cell phones, computers, ipods. Where has the raw, primordial human gone? where is the essence? I struggle with the thought that everything comes from nature at one point... If something didn't come from nature how could it exist? Nature is the end-all-be-all. But, look at a cell phone, a camera, a computer; do those items remind you of nature? They certainly don't instill a natural feeling in me. Were so connected these days... connection is a precious thing, communication, but I'm not sure how I feel about this artificial umbilical cord...

No comments:

Post a Comment