Monday, January 26, 2009

I started reading Radical Alterity, and discovered that it holds some interesting ideas. I'm not sure I fully understand the concept of alterity, of the Other. I'm not sure if it has to do with others outside of ourselves, or others outside of our thought process... Other what? I know there's alot of other out there, but what other? I like the idea of communication as a circle, that communication wouldn't work if we could do it perfectly all the time. Would we need it then? I like where this book is going so far, but it does seem difficult to understand. It seems a bit psycological, and at this point I can't tell if it is in the genre of science fiction. The text seems to be a conversation between Baudrillard and Guillaume. Baudrillard seems to be a bit critical of Guillaume's ideas. Only part of the way into it, and I feel as if there is a lot there... A lot of questions and ideas about communication with strangers, over the telephone, and perhaps online as well. I'm still confused by exactly what the Other is...

1 comment:

  1. Well there are several ideas of the Other: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other This is a good place to begin but not to end.

    ReplyDelete