Saturday, January 10, 2009

Brain seems to be operating... kinda

It’s nice to finally be in a class where I am not simply reading a text book. I get frustrated spending hours at a time swimming through repetetive words and sentences that just seem to bleed together. I am excited to read many short books, with different themes and ideas! “The Invention of Morel” is quite interesting so far… It’s hard for me to know what the main character’s reality is. Is he sane? Crazy? Does that even matter? Last summer I read Stephen King’s “The Shining”, and I loved it! The atmosphere of a seemingly deserted island with a museum, or hotel as it appears, and the fact that the main character is experiencing the presence of people who may or may not be there reminds me of The Shining. The basement is also another element that is similar in both books.

While sitting in class the other day I had a conversation with the Steven about what the main character’s reality might be, and about the strange machines in the basement. All of a sudden my brain just kinda went off and thought up some crazy idea of what might be going on. I know that it’s probably way off from what is actually happens in the story, but it was really neat! Sometimes I feel like I have trouble thinking of original, in depth, or introspective things. I like that the themes in this class cause me to go “huh? What about that?”. I feel like I may be starting to have a bit more brain activity…

1 comment:

  1. I like that madness is our first option--or our go to category as readers? What if it was something else?

    What I am wondering is if we read more books like Morel would we create other first options for ourselves when reading?

    ReplyDelete